Fondazione Pangea Onlus
Fondazione Pangea was founded in July 2002 as an independent, non-profit, non-partisan organisation with the aim of working in Italy and around the world to:
- promote the advancement, access and enjoyment of human rights and equal opportunities for women and children, to put an end to gender-based, social, economic and environmental injustices, or those caused by wars and conflicts.
We put pressure on the Italian government and international institutions such as the UN to advance human and women's rights of all ages and backgrounds through laws, policies, measures and funding that are in line with the UN Conventions and international treaties on human rights, to give back voice and space to women.
- prevent and combat violence and discrimination against women and domestic violence witnessed and experienced by children, to make them live both free from fear and violence.
Since its beginning, Pangea has acted to stop the cycle of violence through programmes of empowerment and welcome, listening and accompaniment towards a new life.
- promote and develop women's economic, social and cultural empowerment, in order to fully develop their talents and potential and no longer suffer from poverty, financial and work exclusion.
Pangea has worked to enable women all over the world to become financially literate; create savings and access micro-credit; be prepared for productive activities and start up businesses; produce their own income and manage it consciously by improving their economic and social conditions; achieve equal opportunities within their families and then in their communities.
Pangea operates with respect for gender differences, in a gender intercultural perspective that takes into account human rights, for the environmental protection, the right to education and to health, the promotion of Peace, for the dialogue and non-violent conflict management.
Our work is based on listening, welcoming and accompanying women and helping them in the path of empowerment to rebuild their life project, starting from the Self.
Pangea is present in the following institutions:
- at the Women Peace and Security table of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs since 2010;
- at the Italian anti-violence advisory table of the Equal Opportunities Department from its inception in 2014 until today;
- since 2020, Pangea has participated in the "National Network for the fight against Hate Speeches", promoted by Amnesty International;
- between 2010 and 2016, Pangea participated in the work of the RITMI - Italian network for micro-credit, where we chaired the vice-presidency for a few years.
Currently Pangea has active programmes in Italy, Afghanistan, India, Colombia. Since 2002, we have also carried out projects in other countries, including Nepal, the Democratic Republic of Congo and South Africa, involving over 20.000 women directly and as many people from the surrounding families and communities.